Privacy and Dignity Policy and Procedure PURPOSE AND SCOPE
Accelerate Plan Management will manage and ensure that our organisation provides the participant access to services and supports that respect and protect their dignity and right to privacy. This policy applies to all Staff.
Accelerate Plan Management is committed to protecting and upholding all stakeholders’ right to privacy and dignity; including participants, Staff, management and representatives of agencies we deal with.
Accelerate Plan Management committed to protecting and upholding the participants right to privacy and dignity as we collect, store and handle information about them, their needs and the services provided to them.
Accelerate Plan Management requires Staff and management to be consistent and careful in the way they manage what is written and said about individuals and how they decide who can see or hear this information.
Accelerate Plan Management is subject to NDIS (Quality and Safeguards) Commission rules and regulations. Accelerate Plan Management will follow the guidelines of the Australian Privacy Principles in its information management practices.
Accelerate Plan Management will ensure that each participant understands, and agrees to, what personal information will be collected and why, including recorded material in an audio and/or visual format.
Accelerate Plan Management will advise each participant of privacy policies communication and terms that the participant is most likely documents are made available to all participants).
Accelerate Plan Management will ensure using language and a mode of understanding that:
- It meets its legal and ethical obligations as an employer and service provider in relation to protecting the privacy of participants and organisational personnel.
- The participants are provided with information about their rights regarding privacy and confidentiality.
- The participants and organisational personnel are provided with privacy, and confidentiality is assured, when they are being interviewed or discussing matters of a personal or sensitive nature.
- All staff, management and volunteers understand what is required in meeting these obligations.
- Participants are advised of Accelerate Plan Management’ confidentiality policies using the language, mode of communications and terms that are most likely to be understood. Accelerate Plan Management Choices will attempt to locate interpreters and will use easy access materials, such as those on the NDIS website.
This policy conforms to the Federal Privacy Act (1988) and the Australian Privacy Principles, which govern the collection, use and storage of personal information.
This policy will apply to all records, whether hard copy or electronic, containing personal information about individuals, and to interviews or discussions of a sensitive personal nature.
Dealing with personal information
In dealing with personal information, Accelerate Plan Management staff will:
- Ensure privacy for the participants, Staff, or management when they are being interviewed or discussing matters of a personal or sensitive nature.
- Only collect and store personal information that is necessary for the functioning of the organisation and its activities.
- Use fair and lawful ways to collect personal information.
- Collect personal information only with consent from the individual.
- Ensure that people know of the type of personal information being held, the purpose of
keeping the information and the method it is collected, used, disclosed, and who will have
access to it.
- Ensure that personal information collected or disclosed is accurate, complete, and up-to-date,
and provide access to the individual to review information or correct wrong information about
- Take reasonable steps to protect all personal information from misuse and loss and from
unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- Destroy or permanently de-identify personal information no longer needed and/or after legal
requirements for retaining documents have expired.
- Ensure that participants understand and agree with what personal information will be
collected and why.
- Ensure participants are informed when any recordings occur in either audio and/or visual
format. The participant’s involvement in any recording must be agreed to in writing.
Participant records will be kept confidential and only handled by staff directly engaged in the delivery of service to the participant. Information about participants may only be made available to other parties with the consent of the participant, or their advocate, guardian or legal representative. A written agreement giving permission to the recording must be maintained in the participant’s file.
All hard copy files of participant records will be kept securely in a locked filing cabinet, in the office of Accelerate Plan Management Pty Ltd.
Responsibilities for Managing Privacy
All staff are responsible for the management of access. Director is responsible for the content in and on the website and must ensure the following regarding personal information to which they have in Accelerate Plan Management publications, communications.
- Appropriate consent is obtained for the inclusion of any personal information about any
individual, including Accelerate Plan Management personnel (Consent Policy and Procedure)
- Information being provided by other agencies or external individuals conforms to privacy
- That the website contains a Privacy statement that makes clear the conditions of any
collection of personal information from the public through their visit to the website.
The Director is responsible for safeguarding personal information relating to Accelerate Plan Management staff, management and contractors. The Director will be responsible for:
- Ensuring that participants and other relevant individuals are provided with information about their rights regarding privacy and dignity.
- Handling any queries or complaints about a privacy issue.
Privacy Information for Participants
At the first interview, participants will be notified of the type of information is being collected about them, how their privacy will be protected, and their rights in relation to this data. Information sharing is part of our legislative requirements. Participants must give consent to any information
sharing between our organisation and government bodies. The participant is offered to opt-out of any NDIS information sharing during audits that involve direct contact with the participant.
Privacy for Interviews and Personal Discussions
To ensure privacy for participants or Staff when discussing sensitive or personal matters, Accelerate Plan Management will only collect personal information which is necessary for the provision of its services and which;
- Is given voluntarily; and
- Will be stored securely on the Accelerate Plan Management database.
When in possession or control of a record containing personal information, Accelerate Plan Management will ensure that the record is protected against loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, by such steps as it is reasonable in the circumstances to take. If it is necessary for that the record to be given to a person in connection with the provision of a service to Accelerate Plan Management, everything reasonable will be done to prevent unauthorised use or disclosure of that record
Accelerate Plan Management will not disclose any personal information to a third party without the individual’s consent unless that disclosure is required or authorised by or under law
- NDIS Practice Standards and Quality Indicators 2018
- Privacy Act (1988)